Friday, January 01, 2010

2009/2010 - writing and reading on the brink of the new decade

I marked the end of new decade by finishing (almost) of my two years old project of manually typing XIX century Rabbi Cylkow two first books of Torah translation to Polish. Before my project (at http://www.cylkow.pl/) there was no exact, unmodified electronic version of famous Cylkow's Torah. So far I managed to type the first two books (Genesis/Bereshit, Exodus/Shemot). I will announce it again after some final touch and corrections....

I opened the new decade by mysterious and a bit surprising come back to the book I read in my school years, some 35 years ago. It is Herman Hesse Magnum Opus - The Glass Bead Game. I started the reading while going to Cracow and in Cracow on the New Year Eve...

35 years ago it was an awakening to me, comparable only to my readings of J.P. Sartre....
I'm sure that everybody, who contemplates culture, music and science must read Hesse's Magnum Opus ....

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 PM

    Herman Hesse has been one of my seminal writers. His style and message seem forgotten today yet it gives me great satisfaction to know that you are reading him again and that he was influential for your own development. I pulled out my copy of Magister Ludi yet I am reading CJ Jung's The Red Book and another book on Egyptian Mythology so I may have to wait. But it is tempting to read what someone else is reading. I also find it interesting to return to those books that literally changed your life - Walden, Moby Dick, Great Expectations, The Mayor of Casterbridge, Thus Spake Zarathustra, Hamlet, and Hesse's Demian among many others. Best of luck in this new year. Raymond Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raymond, believe me or not, but the Read Book sits in my cart on Amazon... Will get it soon.

    Good to know you are reading it ...

    Yes, Hesse was and is my guru.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raymond, I still do not know how to easily contact you...
    See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ITEcACi2Q&feature=player_embedded

    This is my friend, benedictine monk, who for many years practices religious meditation, which in its deep sense is very close to Eckhart Tolle teachings... If you are interested, I can send you a transcript, which you could translate into English using e.g. Google.

    How to contact you "normally" - do you blog ??

    ReplyDelete

Macrospherology of humans. Globes - volume two of Peter Sloterdijk's Spheres

I have been reading the second volume of Sloterdijk's magnum opus for a couple of months now. I still haven't found the time for a f...