Saturday, July 18, 2009

Amazon fatal step - "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it'

What Amazon did is a real sign of time. They remotely deleted two books from all Kindles that bought them. And the irony is, they did it to George Orwell's books - the authors who "nomen omen" predicted what could happen when the power is connected to means of overwhelming communication.

I guess we still do not take the lessons of the past seriously.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

Orwell observed carefully what was happening in parts of the world with highly centralized powerful organizations and their fruits (nazizm, stalinism, communism) and wrote these very books as the warning.

I think we should seriously take this event - and the irony behind it.

The digital world may not go for DRMs as it is practiced today. We saw the first, still quite innocent as for its scale, incident. But it shows us what really could happen...

Once again:

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" (George Santayana)

Having in mind that history does not repeat exactly, lets look, with eyes on XX century and its "-nisms" at Google, Amazon, eBay and other giants that can truly control us ...

I think we still do not take seriously the power of the new digital world, and the threats it carries. But - this is the world, our world - and we should take the past experiences seriously...

2 comments:

  1. Am I really naive or is this just shocking?
    I know, that's why you posted it - thanks.
    I wish I could lose my cynicism but it's not easy, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, all this story is like a bad dream.

    There was lengthy discussion about it (me participated) at:
    http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/17/amazon-zaps-purchase.html

    I will come back to it. I think all of us should come back to it...

    ReplyDelete

Macrospherology of humans. Globes - volume two of Peter Sloterdijk's Spheres

I have been reading the second volume of Sloterdijk's magnum opus for a couple of months now. I still haven't found the time for a f...