Sunday, November 06, 2011

Reading report :-)

I hoped to find a time today for a review... Alas, despite "free" day, I had plenty things to do and I also was jogging for more than 2 hours reaching my record of 18 km in a single run...

Of course, jogging is also my best time for „reading” audio books, so from this perspective it was the another reader's good day :-)

I finished „The Quantum Story: A History in 40 Moments” by Jim Baggott and I must say it was extremely pleasant and rich experience. It deserves a longer review — and I promise, it will come !
Let me only tell you how sweet was reading about the importance of Feynman's Path Integrals in the evolution of Quantum Theory — the same Path Integrals I devoted my PhD dissertation to. It was 20 years ago ...

Them, in audio I switched to ... Walter Scott's „Ivanhoe”. Surprising ? Well - it is a bit of my tribute to Scotland, Edinburgh and my daughter studying there ... BTW, quite nice reading/listening.

In paper I'm inside „The use of weapons” though I made relatively small progress...

On Kindle, I put „All things shining” temporarily on shelf for the long awaited new Umberto Eco novel „The Prague Cemetery” and it indeed promises good reading !

That's all for today :-)


2 comments:

  1. The Quantum Theory is really fascinating, but unfortunately far too difficult for me to understand. One book that I own myself tells about sciences is The short history of Nearly everything by american Bill Bryson. Not so valued but a cute book that gives me short climps about chemistry, astronomy etc. It made me remember how I read some children book at school while I was seven telling about Marie Curie - wasn´t she a Polish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - she was born Polish and became French in later part of her life. The memories of her are dear to me, because I was doing my PhD at Radiation Institute in Lodz which was strongly keeping her legacy !

    I read the book of Bill Bryson you mentioned - it is indeed a very good book, and not so naive at all !!!

    I must write the review of Quantum Theory Book, because there very serious implications of this theory for our common understanding of nature. For example, the reader can understand that on the most basic, quantum level, the realism we usually hold is broken.
    It is like the nature on the Quantum Level depended on us watching it... Very profound and deep and ... still not fully understood...

    ReplyDelete

Macrospherology of humans. Globes - volume two of Peter Sloterdijk's Spheres

I have been reading the second volume of Sloterdijk's magnum opus for a couple of months now. I still haven't found the time for a f...